Sunday, January 21, 2007
Itsy Bitsy Rare
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Remember how there's always a restaurant that your friends will mention that they've dined in and then head straight to a McDonalds after cuz they were still famished? Well, I am that friend and Rare was that restaurant. It was overall a good experience but I cannot leave a restaurant hungry or it's hard for me to be objective as my blood sugar level dips. We checked out Rare as part of this year's Dine Out Vancouver promo. I like the room. The tables were well spaced so one is not obligated to play eaves dropper. A good wine list. We had a nice bottle of red from Geyser Park. There's a nice touch to the menu, had a closer look on the top of the left page of the menu and I spotted a surprise and don't want to give it away. I opted for the cauliflower soup as my starter. It was delish, came with tiny bits of lobster and ikura which to me is mock caviar. All I did was scoop 4 times with the soup spoon and it was over. Where's the rest of my soup? I should not have been such a rebel and went with the masses, ie. order pan fried oysters like the others, they looked amazing and I had a tiny taste, wicked. Loves it. The others thought my soup was somewhat of a joke. My main was the Cornish Game Hen and was half expecting a full hen but got half instead. Even after my delicious Guiness Pudding, I was still starving. Maybe I am just an uncouth-KFC-loving-pig that's all, but I like something substantial. Sigh. The other 3 diners had the strip loin which looked good but also somewhat itsy bitsy imho. Sigh again. Should have gone for their Veal as my main. The service was impeccable no doubt. Our server was attentive, decant our wine and was available without being intrusive. I do hope to return to Rare one day, on a good night and see if the portions expand on regular nights. But, one other downer was it's located on a strange street. Very little foot traffic. Well, first Dine Out checked, 3 more to go. Chambar next.
posted by movetothis @ 11:41 am  
1 Comments:
  • At 1:09 pm, Blogger Brand New W said…

    i can't wait to check out Rare, thanks for the heads up on the soup and the cornish hen. i'll try out the veal and let u know!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Silent All These Years

Excuse me, but can I be you for a while..- Tori
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Listening To
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Move To This