It used to be only Gyoza King and Guu on Thurlow but now these petite but stylish Japanese tapas places are springing all over the city. Not that I am complaining cuz I've been in love with these Japanese aftter-work watering holes since our first stumbling into Gyoza King. I wish they are more like the ones in Japan where patrons sit on tatami mats and dine from low tables, but my affair with them izakayas or (居酒屋) is here to last. It's hard to fathom, but I'd actually choose any izakaya restaurant over Gotham's or even Lumiere, call me crazy!
To add to the extensive list of Hapa, Guu, Zakkushi, Dan, Yuji, Alpha to name a few, comes Sonomama, Yutaka and Kingyo (all in the downtown core). Four of us checked out Kingyo on Denman and Haro last night and this is izakaya at another level, the room had a feel of Japan, the food unique yet with a distinct level of authenticity and most dishes range from $8 - $12, not bad, not bad at all. Definitely returning. Gosh, I even made a video of a wonderful dish we had, diners to our right looked at me with scorn but seriously, if I care what people think, I would never have brought my camera so K-bitches to my right, eat your kimchi and stare at your own bibimbap.
Line up last night were:
Sashimi Salad Kobe Beef (half eaten) Tori Kara Age (a staple) Miso Mussels
Final dish for the night, Tokyo Sukiyaki simmering at your table, love this stuff!
i took my niece and her gay friend to Kingyo a few weeks ago and we all enjoyed it!! those izakaya places all down on Denman are hard to get into on a Thursday night! we started with Guu, wound our way down to Zakkushi, and finally ended up sitting at the bar at Kingyo as they were the only place with any sort of available seating left! crazy!
You made a video??? LOL OMG this is more obsessive compulsive than me photographing nearly every dish i cook!