Monday, November 20, 2006
No work talk for me
Is it odd that I refuse to talk about work when I am not at work. Colleagues sometimes look at me in a strange way when at lunchtime, either at a restaurant or in the lunchroom, I refuse to talk about anything related to work. I would talk about how praying mantis mate over work talk. Is there something wrong with me? I feel the one hour unpaid time for me to dine with my colleagues should be used wisely and work talk has no place in it. I recently said to a bitter biatch at my office who rants about how hard the job is and she laments 'aiya why is it always me to get all these difficult clients that has potential breach issues?', my cold response in a monotone voice 'err, because you applied for the position', her response to me 'you bitch' and stormed off. Am I cruel to have absolutely no time to entertain work talk. Even those in my office whom I truly like and they get into too much work talk, I would stop them, change the topic and bring up topics like how Madonna is so admirable for adopting a Malawian baby. Is it shallow that I would rather talk about nothing, or something like Aids research, recent boiled water advisory, botulism rather than work. Yes, I think I answered my own question, I am odd. But in my defence, life is so short so why waste time talking about what you already have to do for 8 hours of the day. I'd rather talk about life and my work is NOT my life, so sue me.
posted by movetothis @ 8:42 am  
3 Comments:
  • At 12:02 am, Blogger Brand New W said…

    good for u! i talk about work way too much. it defines me almost. and i hate that.

     
  • At 1:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I also talk quite a bit about work with colleagues during meals or even at evening parties, LOL.

    But I think the problem here is passion. I was quite passionate about the stuff I was doing (but don't think I am anymore). My coworkers were also quite passionate about the work we did, so it's like mutual feeding :)

    But it's good to wake up and smell roses! or change jobs! i think i need a change.

     
  • At 7:58 pm, Blogger movetothis said…

    I used to talk about work so much then realized that it's too negative. It's the kind of work that I do, very little positive aspect to it. Passion is one thing but when the talk is all rant it gets draining.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Silent All These Years

Excuse me, but can I be you for a while..- Tori
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Listening To
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Move To This