| Sunday, July 22, 2007 |
| This is a first! |
This is the first time I will ever write negative things about an izakaya restaurant. I am the self professed love all things izakaya foodie, but last night's experience at Toratatsu opened my eyes. Not all izakayas are born equal. There's Gyoza King, my favourite despite many who say it's a hole in the wall, it's my hole in the wall, the food there is simple, tasty, well portioned and from my knowledge of izakaya, authentic. It's comfort food at best for me and it is still my dining place of choice, always. Then there's Guu with Garlic, that pumpkin egg ball is to die for, the shouting I can do without, the 2 hour limit for dining is annoying, but it's a good place, and they make good karaage, though not half as good as the batter at GK. And there's Hapa. I feel almost obligated to go there once in a while cuz Justin the owner has been so good to us. But, the food, meah, a tad pretentious and servings tiny. But the room is nice, almost like how an izakaya might be if located in NYC. And cold sake in a bamboo = FUN! And there's Shiru Bay, which is good, except for the set dinners. But I find the crowd in Yaletown annoying hence Yaletown is rarely my dining district of choice. And last night, Toratatsu. It's almost criminal to call this place an izakaya because it was just a mish mash of crap that was overpriced, tiny, rather bland tasting and for a Japanese joint, they had no sake. What is with that?! It's like Taco del Mar not having any salsa, or a Chinese restaurant running out of noodles. Criminal I tell ya! The room was narrow and modern decor was rather pleasing but for a Saturday night, it wasn't bustling and for an izakaya not to be bustling on a Saturday night around 9 pm, you're in deep waters Mr. Uno. The only saving grace was the fun company and the other diners I get to make fun of. Fun night out. And oh yah, Whineos after that, ew.
 It's almost KFC without the guilt |
posted by movetothis @ 5:25 pm   |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
I agree!!! would not go back to Toratatsu!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
| Silent All These Years |
Excuse me, but can I be you for a while..- Tori
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Listening To |
|
| Move To This |
|
|
I agree!!! would not go back to Toratatsu!