| Sunday, June 24, 2007 |
| It's peasant what? |
Sarah from work always call Greek food as peasant food. I always act shocked as why would it be that? I love them. The big chunk of lamb, lemon potatoes, rice, tzaziki, hummus, how can all that be peasant food? Then I researched on the world dictionary Google and it is true, Greek and most Mediterranean food are considered peasant food. Hmm. This is shocking as I have always thought the food I grew up with, congee with pork floss and pickled vegetables would be considered peasant food. But Greek? Still, I love all tavernas. No one makes lamb like the Greeks. Plentiful and flavourful. And we finally checked out Takis Taverna on Davie last night and loved it. Compared to the 'other' place 2 doors down that we used to patronize even after a 2 hour wait in the cold, Takis ruled! The ambiance is nicer, the servers friendly and prettier and did not look ghetto-skanky like the ones at the 'other' place. And the food, the Calamari and Kleftiko was superior. Granted it was maybe $3 more per entree, it was $3 well worth it and I am never going to Stephos again! Yep, that's the 'other' place.

|
posted by movetothis @ 2:00 pm   |
|
| 5 Comments: |
-
I confess that I LOVE LOVE Stephos but cannot stand the long queue (if I have to wait more than 30min to get a seat, forget it! not worth it!). But Stephos calamari is to die for. Giant plate for like $10 cdn? that's like disturbingly cheap after living in norway. I've been to Takis once...I think I had mousaka...not my fav greek dish, but it was alright. But I agree that Takis ambience was much better...
-
Indonesian food is also known as peasant food, which might be one reason why there aren't many Indonesian restaurants in North America.
(I went to Stephos once and was not terribly impressed)
-
No zocalo, when you return, you MUST try calamari other than Stephos and you must know that quantity is not quality, Stephos calamari is pre-made I think but most other tavernas made them upon order so it crispier, tastier and fresher. Takis' calamari was actually way crispier and I can vouch their lamb was more superior. I cannot believe I am knocking Stephos but it really kinda sucks.
Alexis - hello, thanks for your comment. Indonesian food is peasant food as well? Wow, no wonder there's like 3 of them in all of Lower Mainland compared to the millions of sushi joints LOL. But Indonesian food is REALLY tasty though. I'd be a peasant everyday if I get to eat their curries and spices all the time.
-
did you know it was Greek Days this weekend!!@ argh, i missed so much!! I was at Stepphos on Friday night.... 50 mins to get in...
-
Greek Days gone already!! Sigh, totally forgot. I went once and it pig fest for me. All that awesome Greek food. 50 mins at Stephos! Why? U knew better don't you. OY! Never again for me. Stephos = take out only. You will prefer Takis, the wait staff is your type, trust me.
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
| Silent All These Years |
Excuse me, but can I be you for a while..- Tori
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Listening To |
|
| Move To This |
|
|
I confess that I LOVE LOVE Stephos but cannot stand the long queue (if I have to wait more than 30min to get a seat, forget it! not worth it!). But Stephos calamari is to die for. Giant plate for like $10 cdn? that's like disturbingly cheap after living in norway. I've been to Takis once...I think I had mousaka...not my fav greek dish, but it was alright. But I agree that Takis ambience was much better...